2001 V70 XC paint

My 2001 XC has 125,000 km and an extended warranty that expires next April. I am getting paint bubbling around the windshield and according to the selling dealer Volvo has no warranty coverage on paint. For a company that prides itself on its paint and paint job quality I find that strange. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any hidden warranties behind the curtains?

Thanks, Gerry

Reply to
gerry

Did you buy the car new? Could it have been in an accident and repainted? Was it kept outdoors in a coastal climate?

None of my Volvos, including my '01 V70 XC, have ever showed any paint damage in the 120,000 to 180,000 miles I kept them. However, they were always in a garage every night and were seldom every near the coast. I did have a Subaru that died of terminal rusting.

The warranty on our '01 V70 XC is:

Volvo's Corrosion Protection Limited Warranty - U.S.

Volvo warrants that your 2000/2001 model year Volvo's original painted body sheet metal panels will remain free from the following conditions which result from defects in design, material or workmanship under normal use and operating conditions:

  1. Defects to the exterior painted sheet metal surfaces for a period of one (1) year.
  2. Perforation of the body sheet metal panels for a period of five (5) years.
  3. Structural damage due to rust/corrosion for a period of eight (8) years.
Reply to
Stephen Henning

Thanks, Gerry

=================================================================It is a big concern if the bubbling is actually adjacent to the windshield, as rust can expand and crack the windshield. If Volvo isn't going to take car of it you must to prevent bigger expenses.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

dealer Volvo has no warranty coverage on paint.

It sounds like rusting metal is pushing the paint up. My first question would be whether the front windshield was ever replaced? If so the installers may have nicked or scratched the painted surface and that has allowed rusting to occur. My next question would be whether over the life of the car it has been driven in a salty or sandy environment or been used off-road? Frequent exposure to those environments will bring on body problems in a hurry.

Reply to
Roadie