2001 V70XC Throttle control

Hello again

In October the shop (Volvo shop but not a dealer) picked up a "ECM 91A7 Throttle unit, internal fault, faulty signal" in their diagnostic run and quoted $875 Cdn for the unit.

I didn't go for it at that time as I was having the 144k service procedure which was something like $500 - $600 plus a couple of other smaller items so I felt a little squeezed at the time. Since then however, I have had running problems that feel like (in the olden days) dirty gas or fuel pump or dirty fuel filter. I think back to the "throttle unit" diagnosis and wonder if that's it. The last few weeks have been really miserable and I have had to almost pump the accelerator to really get going, or to get up a hill.

I know Volvo had significant problems with fuel supply a few years ago, which affected the XC. I had one recall with new software downloaded (free) than another "upgrade" with new software downloaded (definitely not free) to resolve similar symptoms.

Could someone tell me what the "throttle unit" does, and if it is failing would the symptoms described be appropriate. Also, I have run out of time on my extended warranty, so would love to know if there is anywhere I can go (online) to find out about any possible silent recall or possible hidden relief from Volvo.

Thanks in advance, this is a great group....very informative for a non-tech but interested person.

Gerry (British Columbia)

Reply to
Gerry

If you already had recall 155 ETM software upgrade performed & now you have a check engine light & ECM-91A7 stored you need to have the ETM replaced I know in the US it is covered by Volvo for 10 Years from the original in service date or 200,000 Miles which in 321,868 Kilometers if you can post your complete Vin # here I will check to see if you are covered under the extended warranty from Volvo Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
Glenn K

Hi Glenn;

Many thanks for your response. The VIN # is YV1SZ58D211020081. By the way, what is the ETM, the part that needs to be replaced?

Regards,

Gerry P

Reply to
Gerry

Yes Your car is covered by the ETM Extended Warranty if under 10 Years which you are with a in service date of 02/10/2001 & under 200K Miles which you said so a trip to your Volvo dealer is in order to have them read any codes in the car pertaining to the ETM (ETM= Electronic Throttle Module ) so good luck & if I can assist with anything else just ask. Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
Glenn K

My sincere thanks and an expression of appreciation to you, Glenn, for responding to my question. After your original comments, and my "googling", I did find that the ETM problem was a major disaster for Volvo, resulting in a settlement of the U.S. class action suit regarding this matter. There is a ton of info on this subject on the www.

I felt vindicated, in a way, because for at least 5 years I have complained that there was a problem with the fuel delivery system, even after it was partially improved with the EMT recall software download in early '06. There were times when the "bucking" syndrome took place..e.g. after coming out of cruise control...after going back to auto from tektronic...after a short run down a hill under compression, but I never got a straight answer from the shop. No one, even at the time of the recall software download even mentioned that there was an epidemic type problem.....well, I guess that's business.

I will get into the dealer next week and hopefully my faith in Volvo (first Volvo in '69......assembled by fishermen in Halifax, Nova Scotia.....that didn't work out too well) will be restored.

Thanks again,

Gerry P

Reply to
Gerry

Don't confuse two different problems. Besides the ETM problem,there is also a throttle-sticking-in-the-off-position problem if the throttle body is not cleaned regularly. If the throttle is sticking in the off position, then after you come down a hill while in cruise the car will slow down and then will rapidly accelerate back to the speed set on your cruise. If it isn't in cruise, you can feel the sticking when you press the throttle. I have throttle sticking on both my '95 850 and my '01 V70XC. I get routine maintenance and have them clean the throttle body every time. That manages the problem fairly well.

Reply to
Stephen Henning