2001 V70XC - 2 questions

  1. What is the current thinking on switching to a synthetic oil at 170k (105k miles)? I'd like to keep the car a few more years as it runs very well.....starting to burn just a little oil, though.

2, Has anyone found a foolproof way to avoid paying Volvo an amount of money that would buy you a flat screen tv to replace a remote entry key fob that probably costs $5?.

Thanks

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

i have always used syntec -- before that the appropriate Castrol product. my engines seems to go forever, w/ care. if you are burning oil there is no easy fix. syntec is just a better product.

Volvo has proprietary software & encrypted data. there must be a hacker who has cracked this. i don't know of any. if you want one to find you, make it easy. theft of intellectual property is big trouble.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

slept, two more thoughts. first, check compression! i think it should be 8.6 but what do i know. if it is nominal the smoke is just from worn oil scraper rings -- not a prob. if it is low it could be anything. a short block & rebuild is the best bet. second, Castrol makes a 20/50 "high mileage" oil. i've never used but their 20/50 "race" oil works.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer