Freelander, alarm on for 2 weeks (holiday) falt when returned!

I recently went away on holiday, left my Freelander locked with the alarm on, was away just over 2 weeks. Landrover assured me the battery would cope with the drain for 2 weeks no problems!

Not the case I'm afraid, this happened last year too, I replaced the battery (75Ah) thinking it was not a good battery. Got back this time, battery absolutely flat, had to call rescue to jump start me, as I have the V6 automatic, couldn't bump start.

Anyone else had a similar problem, or indeed, is there a way to lock the Freelander without the alarm being activated, I did try this but it set the alarm when used with the keys.

Any help would be appreciated please.

Brian (Huddersfield, west York's)

Reply to
Horse.trader

It is a known problem that transmissions in the shared band (433MHz) where the alarm & key fob operate can keep 'waking up' the receiver in the alarm. In this state the current drain is much higher and hence a flat battery. I don't think that not setting the alarm will make any difference because the receiver is still listening for the key fob.

The transmissions that cause the receiver to wake up are quite varied, common ones are remote sensor weather stations/thermometers, wireless burglar alarms, ham radio, taxi and similar transmitters.

The cure is it fit an alarm that uses a different frequency band. Land Rover are well aware of the problem.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

See other threads about other RF devices from alarms to weather stations waking up the alarm system every few seconds and dramatically increasing battery drain. I'd sit and watch the battery current for a while and see if it's a steady low value or pulses up every so often, from every 30s to every hour, boring and tedious to do but...

Discos have a "transport mode" which basically puts them to sleep. This is to save the battery after they roll of the production line and spend months on a disused airfield waiting delivery or on a dockside/boat getting to parts foreign.

Sweet talk your dealer to see if a Freelander has such a mode and how to get it into (and out of!) that state.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Dave................

There is a Landrover dealer not too far away that are pretty helpful, I'll ask there next time I'm passing.

Brian (Huddersfield)

Reply to
Horse.trader