Broken Key Fob on 2001 Accord

There is a break in the plastic ring that holds the key on the key fob for my 2001 Accord. At the moment, the break is so small that only an unusual movement causes the key to fall off the fob. But it looks like it's just going to get bigger and bigger until the key will be falling off constantly.

I _think_ this is the original key fob but am not really sure how to tell. I bought the car used and it has about 180,000 km (100,000 miles) on it. The fob is quite worn. Frankly, I'm not impressed with the materials used. I would have thought the key fob should last as long as the key. The ring portion at the very least should be metal, in my opinion.

This is my first car with remote entry so I've never dealt with this before but I remember a thread about this a year or so back which mentioned that replacing the key fob was suprisingly expensive. I would have guessed $5 to $10 for something like that but it was well over $100 as I recall.

Are there any cheaper solutions, such as after-market key fobs so that I can retain the remote entry but not have to pay so much money? I'm picturing something like a universal key fob that can be programmed to do just what your original fob did, along the same lines as a universal remote for your TV.

By the way, I'm just guessing that the little black plastic gadget that holds the Lock, Unlock, Trunk Open, and Panic buttons is called the fob; if it is not, please correct me on the terminology. ;-)

-- Rhino

Reply to
Rhino

The key fob for our 99 Accord broke in the same place. You should be able to repair it using a cyanoacrylate-based adhesive (super glue).

Reply to
Dave Garrett

How do I repair a break in the ring with glue? Glue is great for putting two broken pieces back together again but my fob doesn't look like that. The ring portion of the fob is complete except that there is a small break. It looks a little like someone took a small saw and sliced a cut in the ring. I don't have a second piece to glue to the ring to fill the gap.

-- Rhino

Reply to
Rhino

Wrong. They are vehicle [make/model] specific.

You may get an argument on that term from some, but not from me. Everybody knows what you're talking about.

Look for a replacement, used or refurbed, on Ebay. Use dealership as the last resort.

You use a little imagination, that's how. If you've accurately described the current condition, have you considered

1) closing that "cut" with epoxy glue? 2) possibly adding a bit of heat to melt the plastic before gluing it? 3) remove the existing current key ring and replacing it with a larger one - they make different sizes, you know? 4) some combination of all three of the above?
Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Same thing happened with my 2011 Odyssey fob after only a few months. If it is anything like mine, there is a small screw that holds the plastic fob and metal key stub together. I drilled a slightly larger hole and used a tiny nut and bolt to hold it secure. Works great.

[...]

Rick

Is it like this?

If not, search around for transponder / smart key, and you should be able to find it on dealextreme.com or ebay cheap.

Reply to
Evan Platt