240 - rear axle end float?

I've just noticed on the LHS rear wheel has ~2mm end float, i.e. I can pull the wheel in and out relative to the differential. The RHS has no end float at all.

Is this normal? I can't see in the Haynes manual anything about adjusting the end float, mind you, I can't actually see what holds the half shaft bear in place, either?!!?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Clive

Probabely the wheel bearing is worn. I've had it too. If you wait to long you can lose the rear axle and your wheel if making "the wrong turn". You should have it repaired (new bearing) asap. The bearing keeps the wheel and the axle on it's place (donnot know the English wordt for it, in dutch it's "conisch"). I saw the garage replacing the bearing, it's not someting you do in your backyard garden on a lost sunday afternoon, at least thats my humble opinion.

Succes,

Martijn

Reply to
Martijn