98 XLT rear axle/bearing float.

In trying to diagnose a bad shake/grind/drumming noise from under my high mileage 4x4 Exploder, I took off the rear wheels and rotors (disks) and calipers. I noted that if I pulled and pushed the wheel studs I could feel 2 to 3 mm (1/8") or so of play. This is not rocking the wheel type of bearing 'end float' but parallel float.

Is this normal? I have never had the rear caliper off and tried this before?

If its not normal, what will the probable cause be?

David Raleigh

Reply to
David

This is normal.... pushing in, the end of the axle butts up against the differential pinion shaft (not to be confused with the crown and pinion). Pulling out, the C-clip butts against the inside of the differential side gear.... 1/8th inch travel is perfectly acceptable.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim, I was hoping you would say that.

David

Reply to
David