240 reliability?

This would be the place to ask. I'm interested in finding and buying a used 240 DL or GL and am wondering what the reliability overall is for these models. Naturally, safety is the initial appeal, but what other attributes do these cars offer? Most of the vehicles I'm considering have in the range of 100k -- 150k miles. Is there a point mileage-wise at which these vehicles tend to go "south."

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.

Reply to
Men

I've never heard of any 240 dying from engine trouble. It's usually rust that kills those cars. My first 240 had over 250,000 miles when I totalled it. The next had about 180,000 when I traded up to my current 240, which has 138,000 miles. Next week I'm picking up my next 240, which has 101,000 miles, and giving my current car to my brother-in-law. Love those 240s!

Reply to
PButler111

Just replaced original water pump at 156,000 miles. It's the 2.3 89 estate. Purrs along at just under 3000rpm at 80 mph in top. It would do that all day without turniong a hair. Smooth, comfy and great for load carrying. And you gotta love those heated seats on a winters morning......... Les

Reply to
Les &/or Claire

Being a Volve Master till 93, the most commom problomes are the window switches, and the blower moters for the interior fan.Keep the fuses clean. Clean the contacts. I still have an 86 240 I won't drive anything but a Volvo.I just gave the wife a 740 because our Mazda van had the timing belt slip. No problem on a B230. Non interferance motor.Just put a new bellt on and go again.I have only rebuilt one B230 engine.. It overneated because the radiator hose broke.

Reply to
Rod Gray

Hi,

I've seen several 240's over here in The Netherlands with over 545.000 km's on them and still running satisfactory. Mine 240 GL 1981 has only 206.000 km's on the dial.

Cheers,

Martijn

Reply to
Martijn

Engine and transmissions can go for 300-400 k if properly maintained . However many the 1984-1988 models have a crumbling engine wiring . harness which shows up at about the mileage you state . Also you will be looking at front and rear bushings, rear auto trans bushings , probably ball joints, and tie rod ends, strut inserts , heater blower motor not too far down the road . My advice - get a well maintained 1988 or lated model with least mileage you cna afford a good set of tools and Bentley 240 manual and keep up with this NG and contribute and post at

.

Reply to
nospam4me

Or just buy a 1990's model. Lots of them on eBay all the time.

Reply to
PButler111

Now, of course, I just have to find one for sale. In SOuthern California, perferably.

Reply to
Men

Were you looking for a wagon or a sedan?

Reply to
PButler111

I'm looking for either -- preferably a wagon.

Reply to
menyud

Looking for either -- wagon preferered, though.

Reply to
Men

Here's a California car with only 70k miles on eBay right now:

$81412108&category1877

Check out all the 240s while you're there. There are currently several good

240s available.
Reply to
PButler111