190D reliability

Hey, i'm looking to buy a first car and i'm considering the Mercedes-Benz 190D's from 1984-85 with the 2.2L deisel engine. I was wondering if anyone has had any experince with these models and can comment on the reliability and the costs to run. since i'm a 20 year old university student, i'm not prepared to be paying exorbinant repair bills every other week, and i'd like to know if i should continue looking for a reasonably priced 190D or if i should just focus on my alternatives more. Also, how easy are these vehicles to repair? I'd like to learn to maintain my own car, and i understand that naturally aspirated deisel engines tend to be somewhat easy to keep. cheers.

Reply to
Rowan Smith

If you are a college student wishing to avoid big repairs bills, find a CAMRY that is as new as you can afford. You can't go wrong. the early 190 cars were trouble from the get-go.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Reply to
Rowan Smith

I don't have a diesel, but my 1985 2.3L is still running strong after 145K miles, so I'd take Mr. Palmer's comment that the early W201's were trouble from the start as possibly a personal bad experience. Nothing wrong with Camry's either, but with any used car, get it checked out by a mechanic experienced in service on the make. With the mid-80's W201, you'll want to have the suspension parts (ball joints, motor mounts, flex discs, and suspension links) looked at. A lot will depend on how the previous owners took care of the car. Diesel owners might unfairly be generalized as "frugal" folks, so do check maintenance records.

Reply to
MTI

I did had a 190d, 2l, build 90 , for the last 5 years. It seemed to me a car which through its lack of electric components, was quit easy to maintain. Things which go fault with these cars are , the springs on front suspension, ignition/starter switch, and tho not experienced myself, the automaticdoorlocks eventually may mallfunction through leaks in vacuum. But all these things are easy to fix.

"Rowan Smith" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca...

Reply to
jee