240 shutdown

1989 240 DL automatic w/about 140k

Turned off while accelerating, turned off when sittin in park with a/c on, and turned off when backing up and shifting from reverse to drive. Turns right back on when I crank. What could it be now?

  1. changed main fuel filter
  2. new plugs
  3. new air filter
  4. everything okay with AMM
  5. cleaned throttle body
  6. Mechanic installed new in-tank fuel pump (mine was failing)
  7. Mechanic installed new in-tank fuel sending unit

Any ideas anyone? Is it time for another $1,200 car?

Reply to
Ecomoda

replace the fuel relay.

"Ecomoda" schreef in bericht news:lVM4b.17661$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
bluefox

Did the motor stop running, or did you lose all electrical power also? If you lost electrical power, it could be ignition switch module.

Reply to
PROCOBOB

nope, it just turned off and all the little red lights on dash lit up but the radio kept on playing I believe.

Reply to
Ecomoda

Could be that @#%$%$ corroded fuse holder on the left fenderwell. I don't know if your '89 has it, but I tripped over this one with my girlfriend's '85 last month. Car stalled at random with no discernable pattern. Cleaned up the fuse and holder and no problems since.

Lyle

Reply to
Lyle Beaulac

Problem fixed. It was the very badly damaged cable of the 'engine speed sensor'. Engine heat and age (mostly heat) did it in.

My volvo mechanic drove it and came back. He jiggled a few cables, jiggled that one and the car turned off. We let it cool for an hour, removed the sensor, saw it was damaged, replaced it, and voula. 53 bucks later it's fixed.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I guess we all have to add this to our list of issues for volvos turning off unexpectedly. Heh.

Have a great weekend, Hector

Reply to
Ecomoda