Question on '88 240 wagon.

I have a 1988 240 wagon. So far I had to replace the fuel tank and fuel sending unit, then coming home the timing belt broke(replace it with seals and WP), fuel filter. My problem, it stats and idles perfect, sometimes it acts like someone shut the fuel off, just loses power, this happens cold or warm. It happens when I am accelerating hard, if I pull my foot back it seams to improve but not much. BTW tonight I remove the TB and cleaned it. Also new flametrap. Could it be the fuel relay? If so where and how do I get to it(nothing is as easy as my 740 wagon). Thanks

ps it has 164,000 on it.

Reply to
Ken Burt

Check the fuel relay first, actually it is as easy as a 740, it's just different. Pull the panel off above the passenger footwell behind the glovebox (assuming LHD) and it's clipped to the firewall, usually a white box. Pop the cover off and inspect the soldering on the back of it.

Do you have a tach? If so look and see if the needle drops like a rock when the engine stumbles, if it does then look towards the ignition system.

Reply to
James Sweet

"James Sweet" schreef in bericht news:%VG5e.7701$B12.827@trnddc09...

Check the intake air duct (from Air-filter - AirMassMeter to throttle body) for splits or cracks.

Got this tip on the Brickboard forum when experiencing similar problems, turned out to be a crack in the air hose just before the air-mass-meter

When accelerating fast, the engings toruques so the crack widens and false air is sucked in, engines stalls and begins to hop.

Good Luck Frank

245-1993 131-1969
Reply to
kombuis

I had a similer problem on a '82 240 wagon, none of the parts were bad and I replaced the fuel pumps and the relay. Finaly figured out that it was a wire short by the main fuel pump, just wiggle it a bit and the fuel pump goes on and off. So if all else fails check the wireing from the relays to the pumps, with the car running wiggle each wire around a bit, expecially where they go around bends or where they may move a lot. If the car suddenly dies you have found a short.

Erik of Ekedahl

Reply to
Erik Ekedahl

Finally I figured it out. It was the voltage regulator was bad. Replaced it and slam bam thank ya mam it ran like a champ! Thanks for everyone's help.

Ken Burt

"Erik Ekedahl" wrote in news:TKGdnZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Reply to
Ken Burt