240 spot welds

Hello,

I am swapping out a bent body piece on my project car, an '84 240 Ti.

The piece in question is behind the front bumper, and to it attaches the trim.

Mine is bent and luckily I found one the same color at a U Pull Yard.

Most all the in-front stuff had been stripped on the donor car. To remove the piece required the removal of several bolts at each end and in the center, and also required a cold chisel to break through not one but four spot welds.

Is that really necessary? What is added by so many welds? If I don't get the spots rewelded for the replacement, what would be the consequence?

I never dreamed a chisel would be needed.

--Allan Ballard '89 240 194k daily driver '84 240 Ti project car

Reply to
Greenthumb

If

I've seen many 240s in wreckers where the lower valence has been replaced. Most body shops drill out the welds and use nuts and bolts in their place.

Reply to
don hodgdon

Years ago Chrysler had a car called a Valiant it was a strong heavy car they were great motors But when I went over 70 miles per hour the window frame opened up and in blew the air ,I could put my pinky finger in the gap .So in a Motor magazine they put an advertisement, quote "we put over two thousand welds in our car to make them stronger ...BUT on the back page Volvo put an advertisement in the magazine "if we thought two thousand welds were enough we wouldn't put over five thousand welds in our VOLVO .the figures may be out a little but you get the gist of it I hope .WHY DOES A FORENSIC ACCIDENT PERSON DRIVE ONLY VOLVOS AND HIS WIFE AND SON ,BECAUSE HE SEES WHAT REALLY HAPPENS ?He has had ten so far two written off while his wife was driving ...Same in my family Volvos ,yes second hand ,but Volvos only

Reply to
John Robertson