blending welds.

You guys might know about this tool, but in case you don't:

A while back I needed a new wire cup brush for my grinder. Bought it at sears: for a couple of dollars more, it came with a regular wire brush spindle and this flap sanding attachment.

Initially I didn't think too much of this flap disk tool, but this tool actually works really well for blending welds - better than a d/a sander. Those disks want to conform to the surface you're grinding, so that's probably why it works so well.

Remco

Sears exclusive.This item is only available at Sears.

...sure it is....

Gary Tateosian

Those are what I've been using for 2 decades... can get them almost anywhere. I go through several of them a week :) The latest innovation with them is a wheel that has large cut-outs in it, it's like a 3 spoke wheel. You can actually see what you are grinding or sanding, just by looking straight through the disk. Awesome for work where you have thing metals to worry about. Never need to lift it off the surface to see if you are getting close to smooth enough. Those have been around for a couple of years but they are still much harder to find. And more expensive.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I get them by the 10 pack from my welding supply house and get them much cheaper.

And they work great for doing the restorations.

Mario Vintage Werks Restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

Yes, they are certainly great little tools. I'll have to look at my welding store to see if they sell them by the 10 pack too -- I'll use them, for sure.

Oh, I wasn't saying that Sears just invented the wheel, nor that they they are the only source, that this tool was new or its use was new.

Simply saying that I had never used a flap tool like this on metal work since I never knew they even existed. The one I got came in four pack. I was initially only interested in the pack's wire tools - this afternoon I tried the flap tool to see what it was for and was very pleasantly surprised. It does a very nice job, better than any normal grinder would have done. Btw, if you run it across a piece of rubber (old boot) to clean out the grit stays sharp longer - old old trick too, I am sure.

I just never knew this tool could be used for that purpose, that's all. I have used flap sanders on furniture restoration projects to get paint off, but those are a little differently made and don't cut quite as aggressively.

So it was a revelation to me only, I guess. Why didn't you guys tell me about this great tool? I thought we was friends :) Remco

Reply to
Remco