Swapping out front beam

I have a spare 1972 front beam assembly that's in very good shape and the front end in my 66 Baja is getting loosey goosey. Would there be any problem just swapping out the later beam for the one in my 66?

I know the wheel bearings are different. Can I put the later bearings in the 5 bolt drums on my 66?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

The beam will swap right in.

Only the inner bearing changed (and the grease seal). Vic has a nice page here listing the P/N's

The change was made in the latter part of the '68 model year.

The tie rod ends got bigger too, but that probably doesn't matter.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanx. The tie rods are shot on the 66 and the steering gear box is a bit loose too. Hopefully I can get this done in a day...

I was planning on installing a pair of Ghia knuckles too but it's more than I have time for right now. I still need to dig up a pair of rotors and calipers.

The long term goal is to go 4 bolt with disks up front but right now I can't afford a set of 4 bolt wheels to replace the ones I have now.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W