240 tire and key question.

Hi to all, I am the proud owner of a 1993 245, and want to install new tires on the (20 diamond) rims. The original stock tires 185/70R/14 seem to be slightly thin, I was wondering if there is a tire slightly wider (with the same outer diameter, for odometer accuracy purposes) that is better suited for traction, or if I should not bother with it and install the same size.

Also I received only one key, and it was a copy of the Valet key. Is there a way of obtaining (from the VIN # and proof of ownership maybe) an original set of keys?

Reply to
arnold

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com by arnold dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

The notches in the key are the same on both types of keys. The "master" key blank is slightly thinner. Any key shop should be able to cut one for you.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

I got a new master key made for my 240 at the dealer a few years ago, wasn't very expensive,a had the key code but you should be able to use your VIN and proof of ownership if ford hasn't made the blanks obsolete. as far as the tires i agree the 185s are a little small, i have them on my 88, i just bought an 89 and it has 195/70/14s I think they look better, i can't tell much about the handling yet, I've only driven it a couple of times since it's overdue for a timing belt. mark

Reply to
Islandguy77554