245 gaz pump problem

Hi! Here's my problem. 1989 245, auto. Changed pump underfloor and gaz filter. Replaced sender in tank with rebuilt unit. Gaz not getting to engine. If I connect fuse #4 for in-tank pump to fuse #6 for underside pump, underside pump turns. Otherwise not. Question 1: Should I hear the underside pump turn when key is on? Question 2: How can I check if the in-tank pump is working. Any advise greatly appreciated! Thanks. J.P.

Reply to
jocelyn pinet

You should be able to hear the in-tank pump if you stick your ear to the tank with the car on jack stands and have someone crank the engine or hold the relay closed with the cover off. The pumps should run while the engine is cranking, but not when the key is just on. Check the relay, it's a white box tucked up under the right side footwell, often the soldering cracks on the circuit board inside.

Reply to
James Sweet