260 Headlights

I have 2 distinct brightnesses at both the headlights & all the instrument lights, high beam & low, which doesn't seem dependent on engine revs, road roughness etc... just brightens for a short while then goes back to dull-ish. Hard to say which brightness is normal, the instruments always seem dull in daylight but that could be because it's hard to see anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions to check before I look at the voltage reg and alternator? It has had a battery collapse recently, looked like it was due to go. Fuel pump relay failed almost simultaneously. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
jg

My first thought is for the alternator, especially the brushes. In most systems, the alternator light doesn't come on when the brushes fail.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It will if they fail completely, but chances are they're worn.

Reply to
James Sweet

Based on how long the lights stay bright for, it would be charging for a minimal time - maybe 1/10th running time. The alt light works but never comes on driving and there doesn't seem to be a problem charging. There's no flickering & the 2 brightnesses seem consistent, not a varying range. Could it be the (separate) regulator?

Reply to
jg

I'd suggest you start by looking at the grounds for the headlight. If one is bad, that side will ground through the high beam filaments to the ground on the other side. My suggestion - start on the side where the battery is.

Reply to
Mike F

Ah I didn't realise they had earths, I thought they would have 2 wires back to some dark place under the dash. That's what I was looking for, the easy fix things first.

Reply to
jg