321 code in 740 wagon

I'm getting a 321 code in my '91 740 wagon. It has a Regina system. My repair manual states that it is related to cold start valve. I don't seen any leakage or anything around the valve. It normally starts without any problem-but I live in the south and not too cold right now. The manual states that there is an "auxiliary" relay that is related to the cold start valve. I see two relays right about the battery area. Does anyone have any similar experience or suggestions? Thanks, JB

Reply to
JB

321 Cold Start injector short-circuit to ground or missing There was a service correction were the cold start injector was disconnected setting a 321 code as a permanent fault if this is the case this code will always be set & unable to be cleared Glenn
Reply to
Glenn Klein

Glenn, could you let me have a copy of the service correction, as my '91 Green book shows a cold start injector for Regina (B230F) in the wiring and in component location diagrams. Amongst all my service and correction notes I have no mention of this particular note.

JB, the relay you refer to is the Radio Suppression relay and sits by the right hand strut tower. It is the common feed for all the injectors and is switched from the fuel relay.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Thanks Peter. Are cold start injectors very prone to break down? JB

Reply to
James B.

I've worked on a lot of Volvos, and I've not had one single cold start injector fail.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
James B.

Code 2-3-3 refers to "Adaptive idling control out of operating limits". This is, of course, on Regina system only. The accompanying symptom is given as "Idle speed too high or too low". Did you say that you had cleaned and checked the Idle Air Control Valve and it's connection? Could be worth checking the Inlet Manifold Pressure Sensor and the Air Intake Temperature Sensor and their wiring as they could also be the cause of the shudder and rough idle when cold.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Reply to
James B.

Make sure the white nylon vacuum line from the manifold to the manifold pressure sensor is routed over the top of the manifold and not below it. Make sure the line is clear and that the elbow feeding the MAP sensor is not cracked, broken or deformed.

Bob

Reply to
User