6 or 12 ton Press for bushings

I own 3 oldies (90, 92 & 93) all have between 60K-150K miles. While I was changing some of the easier bushings, I noticed some of the pressed in bushings were looking real bad

I found a 6 ton hydraulic press (benchtop) for $65+$33 shipping to VT and a 12 ton (floor standing) for $89+$80 shipping.

I'd like to spend the least amount of $$ to get the jobdone, but either price for the right tool seems OK (I'd probably sellthem after the job was done anyway) but my question is what does ittake to press those front end bushings out? Many thanks!!

Reply to
commandline

The 6 ton should be more than enough for the job, you'll need to make/find/buy some sort of mandrels to press bushings out without damaging the parts though.

Reply to
James Sweet

I was thinking about the same bench-top 6 ton press combined with these to star:

have a friend with a small machine shop where I can get somemandrels made as well.... But first things first.. the 960's powersteering pump went out yesterday.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Reply to
commandline

Any progress on the press, mandrels, or bushing replacement?

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Did you ever get that press? I am still considering it, but would like to know whether the bushing driver set I mentioned works. If it has all the right sizes for our cars it would asve me a lot of time and effort.

THANKS (and sorry for the e-mail response)!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

snipped-for-privacy@easynews.net wrote:

Reply to
Randy G.

I'm curious to know as well, I've always had to make my own mandrels, but then having friends who own a fully equipped machine shop makes that a little easier.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hey, isn't that cheating?

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Only if it's a CNC shop! ;-) __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Which it is, however for one-off's it's a lot quicker to just use the manual machines, CNC is really only good for either complex parts, or when you want to make 100 of the same thing.

Reply to
James Sweet

Or... if you wanted to offer a set to someone else... ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

I haven't gotten the press yet... Though I probably will. I live in north central VT and working in the garage is quickly becoming "out of season" even though I have several different types of heaters.

My wife insisted I was spending too much time on them (she was right...It was a part time job for me) and suggested buying a new vehicle.

We now own an 06 Jetta which was very reasonably priced and goes like hell. It's a horizontal 5 cyl with a manual 5 spd. It's known as their value edition, though many folks have told me it's nothing more than an Audi A4 with a VW skin.

Which puts one our other 3 for sale - The most saleable of the three is my own 1990 740 it is in showroom condition. I bought it with 44K in 2002 and it had been in storage for two full years. It now has 62K (I have a very short commute to work) -it is Dk red, Black leather (perfect) Bilstein's all the way around, Ball Joints, tie rod ends, Poly bushings where possible and a new exhaust from the cat back. 16"

5 spoke alloys with 205/55 Hankook Ventus. Brembo rotors and Axxis PBR organic pads. I have the cleanest alloys you have ever seen and I never touch them.

Oil change every 3000 with Mann filters and Castrol GTX and frequent Tansmission fluid changes with the IPD hose (best $20 I've spent). It will probably need a water pump within the next 6 months and the bigggest pain has been restoring things that have just aged or rusted with age but the underside is quite free of rust by now. I actually replaced the front rotor backing plates which has rusted through. What a pain that was and they cost $90/the pair from FCP. FCP has been my main supplier for the past 3or 4 years and have kept my "fleet" running. Their service is beyond compare...they treat me better than the local guys who actuall see my face.

Everything I have replaced has been with better parts than original and I have given the extra mile that no shop could afford give. I guess they could give it, but no one would want to pay for it.

Down side, one crack in the dash, the leather near the driver's side lumbar support is a bit worn. The trim is showing it's age, but I am in the process of refininshing the bumpers, trim, wheel wells and underside pans with suitable products and some of their black restoring products are great (forget Mother's except for the interior)

I haven't figured a price, but will be priced >above NADA< (for a change)

I'd really like to see it go to someone who will love it, rather than a car for their kid and perhaps take up the job of "pimping my ride". It could easily be a show car

Pictures may be available soon

Reply to
commandline

addition to my XC, I have an 84 240 two door silver turbo that I bought new. Only has 180K on the clock. If push comes to shove...the 03 XC gets pushed to the curb. I love my 240. I kiss it every morning. No kidding. You think I'm kidding? You talking to ME? Simply Luuuuve my 240. MUCH better seats than the XC70. I've gotta tell you this.....READ on. Back when I was a kid and bought my first new Volvo in 1967, with my parents co-signing...Volvo was running an ad about leg-room and spaciousness, stating that 70% of the population of Sweden was over six-feet tall. Oh, well...If you look at the time of this post, you'll probably note that I don't have a life. My dad had a black PV 544 that I wish that I had today. I would literally KILL for that car today.

Actually,it was who wrote about what you referred to. It is a bit consufing becasue he has no sig line to identify his posts.

But I can still impress you. When I got married in 1971 I wanted a motorcycle and had lusted over one for some time. In around 1973 I went into San Jose BMW (I was going to school at the time at CSUSJ). I fell in love with the simplicity and beauty of the then-new R75/5. Finally, in 1981, after two years of saving some extra cash while working as an elementary school teacher, I had enough to make a 50% down payment on a used 1979 BMW R100RT with about 17,000 on the clock.

Flash forward 24 years- the bike now has 93,000 miles on it, has been to Canada once, Montana twice, and all over the western coastal states. It has even done a lap on the old Laguna Seca race track. Two-up on a touring bike through the corkscrew!

Oh... and by the way... It is parked

motorcycle sig file: From Randy G. '79 BMW R100RT - The only bike I have ever owned

Reply to
Randy G.

u guys r nucking futs, but i think i no wat u mean. i'm no motorhead. when young, i thought my dad had mech. skill, cuz he knew to use stp oil treatment. Leaking valves? Use STP. Flat tire? Use STP. Wife left? Use STP. My '71 144 was my first eureka insight to design and construction as creative process. I had moments of channeling Sven in Design Dept, like he connected with me personally at the VIN level. Vintage Volvo designers begged for relationship between man, machine, creator. Saw this again in Zen and motorcycle maint (excluding the psycho stuff), and again in Soul of a New Machine. Made a life long Volvo enthusiast these last 34 years. Alas, too old to learn much new on my dust collecting 1800. Will be selling soon after some minor cosmetics. In Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Are you missing some keys from your keyboard?

Reply to
James Sweet

maybe, should I add a little STP?

actually, I was a little tired and > > u guys r nucking futs, but i think i no wat u mean. i'm no motorhead. when

Reply to
Pat Quadlander