740 Blower motor

I am at a loss.

I have replaced the blower motor, and replaced the BM relay. Fuse is good. Even swapped out the AC delay relay for kicks. The motor spins slowly when the climate control is set to vent [only after I spin to 4 and back to 0 again].

Multimeter has an odd reading in pos 4. In vent mode, about 11.4 volts. When I spin to 1, 2 or 3, the voltage drops a tad but remains at 11.4 +/- a few tenths. When I spin to position 4, I lose all voltage (to about .04v)

Where do I look next? Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Tom

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom

What year is your car? The motor has 1 or 2 terminals depending on year. What happens if you put power directly on the 1 terminal type, or power and ground on the 2 terminal type?

Reply to
Mike F

Mike F wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@allsttream.nett:

Sorry, It is an 89. The blower motor in the car now has one terminal. The ground is screwed to the metal lip of the motor.

I did not try applying power directly to the motor. Since it was getting the 11.4 anyway, I didnt see the need.

____________________________________________________________________________ ___

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
MaryAnne Olsen

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I pulled out the resistors (three coiled springs, correct?) and they were intact. Not sure if that even means anything.

When I spin the dial from 0, 1,2,3 and 4, I assume the voltage would top off at 12v and spin the motor at full speed???

Could the switch have gone bad?

Sorry if these are lame questions. Trying to save a few $ at the repair shop.

Thanks!

-Tom

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom

If you're getting 11.4v at the motor then either the motor is not grounded or the motor is bad. 11.4v is plenty for it to run.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
MaryAnne Olsen

"MaryAnne Olsen" wrote in news:412c9ba7$0$21760$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

Bill,

Here is my original post:

I have replaced the blower motor, and replaced the BM relay. Fuse is good. Even swapped out the AC delay relay for kicks. The motor spins slowly when the climate control is set to vent [only after I spin to 4 and back to 0 again].

Multimeter has an odd reading in pos 4. In vent mode, about 11.4 volts. When I spin to 1, 2 or 3, the voltage drops a tad but remains at 11.4 +/- a few tenths. When I spin to position 4, I lose all voltage (to about .04v)

Where do I look next? Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Tom

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom

____________________________________________________________________________ ___

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
MaryAnne Olsen

"MaryAnne Olsen" wrote in news:412cd5ff$0$19714$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

Bill,

The problem exsists in all modes. Vent, heat and A/C.

Regards, Tom

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom

____________________________________________________________________________ ___

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
MaryAnne Olsen

"MaryAnne Olsen" wrote in news:412cf82a$0$19720$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

No, it does not. When the switch is on position 0, the motor spins slowly. At this point, the motor is getting the 11.4 volts. When I turn the switch to any other position other than 0, the motor stops. The voltage drops a few tenths upon switching, then returns to the 11.4 _not_ spinning the motor.

-Tom

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom Bombaci