740 crank troubles

When i turn the key in the secondary position the lights come on and everything as usual but when the key is turned to try and start nothing no turning no cranking just a click. if you have any ideas please help. thanks christian

Reply to
Motas

Check battery condition, if good... check starter motor.

Could be solenoid on starter motor.. suggest to rebuild unit if it's failed. It isn't too expensive.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
M.R.S.

U¿ytkownik "Motas" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

I've got the same problem. Sometimes is OK,but sometimes I've got it. Many people said,that the is cube with connectors witch is swift to think where You put your key (ignition switch??-I don't know english very well:(( ). Here You've got this part: http://69.0.158.19/live/M505056343OES.JPG

Reply to
sq1euo

U¿ytkownik "M.R.S." napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:v8lMf.1242$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

If battery or solenoid were out, the lights on desktop must turn off, or light more darkness,..but if the lamps were OK, the problem is with ignition switch.

Reply to
sq1euo

This is almost always the starter motor. You can verify easily if you connect a volt meter between ground (any exposed metal on the body or engine) and the big terminal lug on the starter. You should see something in the area of 12V, have someone turn the key, if it only clicks and the voltage doesn't change drastically then the starter is bad.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes, we call that the "ignition switch." It is a common failure, but mostly in the running position rather than the starting position. Mine was a lot worse when cold, and the dashboard lights didn't come on when the switch was bad.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Follow the ground casble from the battery to the bolt where it connects to the engine behind the power steering pump and replace the lug connector. Then relocate the cable to the rearward bolt on the power steering bracket so that it isn't flexed by the sway bar.

Bob

Reply to
User

If you are getting a click the obvious thing is a weak battery. Check voltage at the battery. Should be close to 13V. Before you start replacing parts check and clean all the connections, especially the battery ground. Also check for corrosion at the battery cables.

Dave T.

Reply to
tom.dave