740 GLE Auto

Hi Guy's. This might sound like a right stupid question but there is a good reason for it. OK. I have this vehicle (now off the road) and I wish to use it to shunt a caravan up an incline & into a tight space. Although it's fitted with a rear towing assembly, pushing the van to where I want it would make life a lot easier. I already have another towing vehicle so I just want to use the Volvo as a type of cheap winch. I have inspected the front bumper and seen that behind the plastic covering, there is a substantial "U" shaped piece of steel not unlike an 'RSJ'. What are your thoughts on bolting a tow ball on this to push the van into it's allocated space, (which is very difficult in reverse) due to the restricted area & impossible to man handle it. ?

I told you it was stupid ;-))

Regards. Mike (UK)

Reply to
Mike J

Wouldn't a small garden tractor or an electric winch make more sense than a luxury car for this sort of task?

The front bumper is aluminum under a plastic skin and is bolted to collapsible shock absorbers.

Reply to
James Sweet

It sounds like what you are describing is the tow hook.

Yes, it would be strong enough to serve the purpose you suggest.

Reply to
Mr. V

Hi James. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the car is now coming to the end of it's "Luxury" status (it's a 1988 model) and I don't really want to part with it as it's been one of best cars ever that's why I want to use it for another purpose without spending more cash on winches / tractors. I couldn't bear to see it scrapped. After another look, you are perfectly correct in the fact that the bumper is aluminium, and I am now wondering if the said project is a viable one. Thanks again for the reply. All the best. Mike.

Reply to
Mike J

Perfectly correct Mr.V. I shall be using it to "Push" the caravan, so I don't think there's any fear of it pulling away from the bodywork. Thanks for the reply. Regards. Mike.

Reply to
Mike J

LOL that's newer than any of my cars :)

Reply to