85 240 GL non turbo back together

Hey all,

Recently did a rebuild on the motor of my 85

240 GL. Had some difficulties getting it running after sitting in a snowbank for 6 months, but now seems to be going.

Still has a problem with hard starting, but once its warmed up it seems alot better. Here is what I have deduced so far:

  1. The gas in the tank is SUPER old. I'm figuring if I can run it out, and refill with new gas, then that alone could solve some problems.

  1. The timing is out. It won't go to 12 degrees

+/- 2. Figuring this is due to pre-detonation from the bad gas.

Here is what has been done to it while and after re-assembling it:

Timing Belt Tensioner Gasket Head Set Gaskets Lower Set Gaskets Cam Seals Motor Mount Head Bolts Rod Bearings Cam Pulley Piston Rings Spark Plug Wire Set Rotor Cap Fuel Filter Spark Plugs Air Filter Coil Main Relay Block Heater

Any other ideas out there on what could cause this bad cold-running condition? Also, it is a little gutless when finally warmed up.

Will getting rid of the old gas solve my problems?

disallow

Hi! I will definetly try to change the gas, as it might go better with fresch one. Just take a hose and suck so much of the old one´s out, as you can. BTW, did you get the timing belt mounted exact right? One notch in the wrong way, might cause the timing out of phase.

Is it carburated or a injection motor?

//Gert C

Reply to
Arne C

Hi there Gert,

Its fuel injected, and the timing belt appears to be perfect. Thought about draining the gas, but have no hose... :(

disallow