850 NA vs Turbo

Hi all,

I'm looking at making a change from my 1995 850 GLT to a 1996 850 Turbo. I looked at the Turbo car today and had a peek under the hood and noticed the engine (from what I could see) appeared to be the same as what I have in my GLT but with a turbo bolted onto the back.

Is there an actual engine difference? I also noticed the 1996 doesn't have the OBD interface under the hood the way my 1995 does... can this be retrofit or transferred from a 1995 or will I need a whole new wiring harness?

Thanks in advance, blurp

Reply to
blurp

The engine is very similar, but there are critical differences. Lower compression ratio in the turbo engine, fittings drilled in the block for oil feed and drain, different computer, different injectors, plumbing, other small changes.

Can't help you with the OBD, never messed with it. Where is the interface on the '96? I thought all cars that new had to have one?

Reply to
James Sweet

The OBD interface on the later 850s is under the coin holder on the central console.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

Thanks guys. Yes, like the '95, the '96 Turbo has the OBD jack under the coin holder in front of the shifter. BUT the 1995 has a "self diagnostic system" under the hood mounted on the left side that allows you to connect a jumper, press a button, and read the codes off WITHOUT an OBD device (just count the number of times the little red light flashes).

It is THAT which is mising in the '96 and which I would be keen to add if it's just a matter of getting the part and plugging it in. Again, if it's crazy wiring harness work then fugeddaboudit. I could see the mount for the unit is there but the unit itself is not installed.

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp