850 odometer repair - airbag connector disconnection, odometer adjustment?

Typical failure of odometer in a 1997 model 855 TDI after reaching

310000 km. I have purchased the 2 sparepart plastic gears and will try to repair the odometer in the near future. 2 questions arise

  1. Disconnecting the airbag connector - necessesary, unecessary, dangers?

describes theinstrument panel removal procedure without removing the whole dashboard,only by lifting the driver´s side up enough, means also without touchingthe airbag components on the right side. VADIS tells to remove the whole dashboard. Battery cables removed, airbag screws removed, airbag connector disconnected, airbag connector connected, new screws etc

Somebody told me he could not lift the dashboard high enough since the airbag cable was limiting that movement. In case I have to disengage the airbag cable, he warned about danger of explosion by manipulation. Are there any other safety precautions necessary than removing the battery from the car for an hour and not applying any voltage (like trying to measure resistances) to the system and treating the unit with due care?

  1. odometer adjustment to correct mileage?

Since I will have been driven several thousands of miles before repair I want to put the correct mileage on the odometer so I will be able to read the mileage for services without additional brain- or servicework. Would I have to rotate all the rotations by some means (small electric hand drill or like) or can I adjust the wheels separately each before putting in the odometer?

Franz47

Reply to
franz47