[850] Stalling when hot.

G'day Folks

Have an issue with my '93 850 with the 10V engine and auto tranny.

Anyway If we're idling for any length of time (~5 mins), the car will just shut down and you have to wait several minutes before it'll start again. You can start it but it won't stay running even if you press the accelerator. It's almost as if the fuel line is running dry. This has started to happen lately now that it is heating up here in Northern Australia.

Today it happened while waiting for 5-6 minutes at a rail crossing (long train I know) with the A/C running and an ambient temp of 35 degrees C (95 degrees F).

I checked google for previous responses but can't seem to find something exactly like this but am guessing that it could be the idle valve or maybe even a sensor.

Any help appreciated.

cheers

/Victor

Reply to
Victor

Crank sensor? these almost always fail when hot- then you get no spark. The igntiion amp on the 10v cars has been known to do the same too...

does the tacho kick when you crank it after its died?? If not- check primary ignition- crank sensor and amp!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'm not sure of the fuel system on your car, by here the 850s often have problems with the fuel pump relay causing this problem (as do just about all fuel injected Volvos).

Reply to
Mike F

The relay is a good point- forgot about that!

The 10v engine is fitted with Fenix 5.2 combined fuel and ignition ECU and uses a MAP sensor instead of MAF.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

After looking at some past posts, I took the relay out and did some minor resoldering on it. We'll see if that helps.

Thanks for the input guys.

Reply to
Victor