850 vs. 240

Not knocking ! Does a 850 have a much firmer ( i.e. road feel ) design than a 240 ? I love my new ( to me ) 850 but it seems to be edgier then my 93 240. I know euro rides have rode feel and may be compensating for old shocks ,

AJ

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

Well, since the last time I was in a 240 was over ten years ago I'm not really qualified to give a comparative answer, however...

The 850 does have a very firm ride, even compared to other comparable "European" cars (I live in the UK so everything I drive is European or Jap!) I've noticed the difference when travelling along the same roads in say an Audi A4 or Honda Accord. It is, however, much nicer to drive (IMO) than either of those!

I definitely make more of an attempt to pick the best bits of the road and avoid potholes when driving my 850. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortably hard - though possibly American tastes are different!

Cheers,

AJ (not the same one!)

Reply to
AJ MacLeod

Never had a ride in a 240 but compared to a Honda Accord the ride in my 96

850 GLT is quite a bit more firm. I was considering a Turbo but passed on it because it has a much firmer suspension than the non turbo version.
Reply to
Bert

I can feel a coin on the roadway when run over... that said when she goes into a corner she feels like a cat tossed onto a golf green, I have never went to the envelope of that scenario, but suffice to say, I choose smooth roads and slow down on corners. The car is an '96 850 turbo. It's a little firm but the firm with it's minuses makes up for it when handling is called for. She handles like a race car. I guess if I wanted smooth and lazy I might have choose a BMW.

In all my driving the Volvo 850 exceeds anything BMW has ever produced and I've driven the 3 and 5 series, with a good friend having the 7 series.

Can't speak to the 240 but might opine, the 850 was one of their crowning achievements. FYI

Reply to
Fred K