87 GLE flooding?

Thanks for your help in advance. If you know what is the cause of my troubles please let me know. My "87" GLE 8 valve w/ 228K floods with gasoline. If I remove the fuel pump relay it will start and run until gas in the fuel rail is gone. When I put the fuel pump relay back into place the engine floods again and will not start. Do I need a pressure regulator, ECU, injectors, or what? Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Kemp

I've seen this twice caused by a wiring harness that kept all the injectors turned on all the time. Check your engine wiring harness for deteriorating insulation.

Fuel pressure regulators can fail in such a way that the fuel pressure is too high, and a clogged return line will accomplish the same thing.

Reply to
Mike F

If the injectors are working properly they should buzz audibly, if they're stuck open they'll simply make a click when the key is turned on and stay open. Also the fuel rail can be removed from the manifold easily with all four injectors still on it, point them in a direction where the fuel mist won't be ignited and crank the engine for a moment, the spray should pulsate.

Reply to
James Sweet