'89 240 b230k fuel problem?

Can anyone help with this?

'89 240 b230k in the uk with 184.xxx miles.

Over the past few months had the following problems.

Occasionally when stuck in traffic, idle speed drops and will stall, if allowed. usually recovers when speed builds up.

However, twice when on motorway at around 70 mph engine seems to loose power and will eventually stop. Seems like a fuel issue as becomes jirky and gradually dies. In the past, it has started immediately and may run for days without trouble.

Today, when trying to start it, lots of blueish smoke from tailpipe.

After cranking for a while, it did not start. However, after about 2 minutes, it started immediately and did another 60 miles without problem.

I feel that the mechanic is not going to find this as it can run without problems for weeks. Having said this, I am getting tothe point of thinking that one day, it will not start again.

I have the solex unit.

Anyone any ideas on this?

Thanks

Reply to
keith Barret

If this car has a carburetor you are probably getting carb ice. The pressure reduction of the air passing through the venturi has a cooling effect, as does the vaporization of the added fuel. Moisture in the air will freeze in the venturi, eventually closing it enough that the engine will stall. After stalling the heat of the engine melts the ice and it will start again. Is the heat riser from the exhaust shroud to the air intake intact? Is the regulator door opening and closing?

Allen

Reply to
Allen

Thanks for your thoughts, Alan.

The shroud from the exhaust seems to be connected. As far as anything else is concerned, I have not been able to check much as I did not wish to hang around on the motorway.

What about the smoke from the tail pipe? and also, if it was icing, would it not happen more often? Weather has been mild today but a week ago it was below freezing and it never played up then.

Reply to
keith Barret

I don't know about the smoke other than the fact that if it appears after the stall from icing there will be a slug of water going through. Also the icing only occurs during certain atmospheric conditions. The amout of moisture in the air and the temperature range. If it is below freezing then there is not much water vapor in the air. I've seen it as high as 60-70 degrees F also.

allen

Reply to
Allen