'89 245 tires--44 or 35 psi?

I've been driving 240 wagons for 20+ years, and have tried different sizes, brands and types of tires. Good quality all season (standard or touring) in a 195/75 14 work well and make the most sense for me. I need a new set, and while I've always had good luck w/ Michelins, I have Harmonys on another 245 and find them too soft. The Hydroedge has a nice feel, but only comes in a 195/70 14 (and a slightly below norm diameter even there, to the point that I'm considering that size for a sedan replacement tire). The Bridgestone Turanza LS-T sounds good and has a max psi of 44, while other tires in its group/class have max psi of 35. As you all know, the OEM 185R/14 had a max psi of

40 or 44, and Volvo U.S. recommends 36 psi front/rear (with additional for higher loads). Which gets me to the question: Has anyone determined if it's a good idea to go with a tire which will handle the higher psi, or is the standard 35 max more than adequate (stiff enough sidewall and the ability to actually safely handle 38-40 psi)?

Thanks

Also, any tires anyone particularly likes?

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

You should be buying a tire that meets/exceeds what the OEM spec was. If the car is calling for 36psi (sounds a little high our 960 is 195 65 R15 and they call for around 28-30 up front and 30-36 I believe in the rear, load dependant) and the tires are only good for 35 psi, then you have the wrong tire IMO.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Please Rob. With all due respect, this is a 245 tire problem/question. Recommended U.S. pressure IS 36/36 psi . Every 245 owner on this NG knows this. Michelin doesn't even make an OEM spec tire anymore. Most manufacturers don't (used to be available for VW campers). Probably 98 or 99% of US 240 wagons have 35 psi tires. BTW, even if a tire had a max psi of 36, the question would remain since there is really no significant difference between 35 and 36 (most gauges aren't this accurate). The real question still is whether a higher max psi tire is advisable due to the 240 wagon's load rating and driving characteristics. Any 245 tire experts out there?

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

Hi, Bill - - -

Our daughter has been driving her mom's original '87 245 for about 10-11 years now (at ~250K miles) using Sears (by Michelin) Road Handlers

195/70x14's. Good performance all around - tread life; wet, dry and snow handling; etc., etc.

When this car was delivered, Volvo was fitting Michelin 7.00Xx14, 6-ply rating. Volvo (at least through the 2xx series) considered their wagons as "working vehicles" that were equipped to carry a load as required. Even with the first tire replacement, the 7.00x14 was no longer available and we switched to the 195/70's. Pressure at 35/35.

For a good tire at a good price, the Sears-labeled product has proven to be just fine. These tires have also been used on the '95 Subaru AWD wagon that came next and is now driven by our son. Once Volvo "discovered" AWD we became an all-Volvo family.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

Volvo originally speced what was practically a light truck tire for the 245 wagon to allow for heavy loads. These are now almost impossible to find.

Unless you are loading your vehicle up to the max I would not be concerned about putting tires which specify a maximum of 35 PSI and running them at

  1. John

Reply to
John Horner

Thanks John Max loading is my concern. While generally well below load max, it's not unusual for me to have 1000+ lbs in it /on it (weekend kayaking vehicle w/ 4 or 5 adults and 6 kayaks plus gear for shuttles on mountain roads). My son routinely would have close to max load in his

245 w/ bikes, kayaks and a full load of crap to from college (to point of stressing/torquing geometry on exhaust system). I've been getting away with it for years now, but that doesn't mean I should continue to do so if given the choice. In an extended conversation w/ Michelin technical service, person even recommended that they personally would take advantage of Michelin's 30 day money back guarantee (on my new 195/70 14 Hydroedge w/ max 35 psi) and switch to a 44 psi max tire, even outside the Michelin brand such as the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T. That's why I'm trying to figure this out quickly.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

The 185R14 car tires that used to be available typically had a load rating of 91, while the 195/75R14 tires that can be used in place typically have a load rating of 92. So the latter should have the needed load capacity if inflated to the pressure listed on the sidewall as giving their maximum load capacity.

A lot of 245 wagon owners put on 185/70R14 tires in error. This can be a problem if they load their wagons to the stated capacity, since the

185/70R14 size has a significantly lower load rating than 185R14.
Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

195/70R14 typically has a load rating of 90, which is slightly lower than the 91 that 185R14 car tires typically had. 195/75R14 typically has a load rating of 92, which should make it a safer substitute for 185R14 in terms of load capacity.
Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

[...]

R Gostenik

Yes. (1312 for 90 rated 195/70 vs 1400 lb load rating for 92 rated

195/75, but as noted above, Hydroedge not available in 75 series). Intuitively, it would seem that as the aspect ratio increases, sidewall stiffness and/or tire pressure also would need to increase to better resist lateral forces from higher loads, especially in the case of a 245 w/ its tail extending so far beyond the wheels. I don't mean to beat a dead horse (and a 35 psi max tire obviously works and has for years) but comparing apples to apples, the question still is: whether a 195/75 14 w/ a max psi of 44 (and which measures its 1400 lb load capacity at 35 psi, but which can be pushed further for full loads) has a safety advantage over a 195/75 14 w/ a max allowable pressure of 35 psi?

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

Reply to
John Robertson