89 740 rear floor pan wet....why?

The rear floor on RH side is soaked, but the RH front floor is not. I am not having to add coolant, and anyway if there was a core leak, then the RH

*front* should be wet. So what could be causing this?
Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Do you have a sunroof? I'm thinking drain tubes, but I'm not altogether sure how they run from the sunroof assembly. I think there are two at the front and two at the rear. If the rear ones have become blocked or detached somewhere, this maybe could cause the problem. Dunno how you resolve it, though.

I'm assuming you've checked for holes in the floor.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

I'll check on that as it does have a sun roof. There are no holes in the floor pan. The only other possibility I can think of is that maybe the air conditioner drain tube is clogged and backing up into the rear floor pan. Is that possible?

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Doubtful.

One other thing occurs to me - if you have an estate/wagon, the water pipe to the rear wash/wipe may be damaged. Although, in fact, this may run at roof level, rather than floor level.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Jim;

I experienced something similar with a 245, but in the front passenger floor pan.

With my vehicle, the drain slots adjacent to the rocker panels had become clogged with the petroleum-jelly-like rustproofing spray compound that so that there was water trapped in the cavity.

Clearing the drain slots (with a wire) drained the cavity and the problem of puddles in the floor pans disapppeared.

Reply to
Eunoia Eigensinn

I have the headliner out of my 740 at the moment so I can provide pictures of the sunroof drain tubes if needed.

Reply to
James Sweet

I had water coming into the front driver's side footwell and it turned out to be a split in the tube the wires run through between the door and the car body, water was trickling right down the door, down the wire and into the car.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi Jim,

I had the same thing, it turned out to be condensation from the airco, normally it leaves the car under the hood but some seal was gone. Just check the upper front part of the floor mat if that is wet (at the inside) it is the airco.

Strangely, the floorpan in the rear is the one that is getting soaked first.

Bert Stolker

Op Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:53:16 -0500 schreef "Jim Caldwell" :

Reply to
Bert Stolker