'90 240 check engine light but no codes

So the check engine light has been on in my friend's 240 for a couple weeks and he says the fuel economy has been lousy. I checked for fault codes and it flashes 1-1-1 which I gather means no codes are stored.

I've never dealt with one this "new" so I'm not terribly familiar with it, but shouldn't anything that turns the check engine light on also store a code?

Reply to
James Sweet

Sure, if the computer was OK. No codes, can always be a defective computer. If the computer is defective, it might not be able to know what code to flash.

The codes for 1989 to 1993 Volvos are at

Stephen Henning

James Sweet ha scritto:

Hi, was checked both injection and ignition system? Both ecu says "111"?

Reply to
Telespalla Bob

Does the ignition control unit store codes separately? How does one check those? I thought everything was accessed through the one OBD interface?

I used instructions I found online. Plug the probe into port 6 of the diagnostic socket with the ignition key set to accessory and push the button for 1.5sec, at which point I get three evenly spaced blinks.

OBD is cool, but it's a luxury I've never had.

Reply to
James Sweet

A2 is Fuel Side A6 is Ignition Side Do the same for A2 & this is where you will find your code or codes write them down so you do not lose track of what you started with Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
GlennK

A2 is Fuel Side A6 is Ignition Side Do the same for A2 & this is where you will find your code or codes write them down so you do not lose track of what you started with Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
GlennK

A2 is fuel A6 is Ignition Side

Reply to
GlennK

Ah, that's what I needed, thanks! Hopefully I'll have a chance to check it out this weekend.

Reply to
James Sweet

So I finally had a chance to check this and it gave me 213. From what I can tell, that's TPS signal stuck full rich, which would explain the lousy fuel economy. I didn't have my multimeter with me so I couldn't test the switch. Does a '90 have the older style TPS that is just a couple of switches, or is it the later style potentiometer?

Reply to
James Sweet