check engine for 60 sec?

I'm looking at buying a 97 960. The check engine light stays on for about 60 seconds. The guy says he thinks it's because oil pressure doesn't reach what it should be till then. On any other car the light goes out a couple seconds after starting. Am I being fed a line?

Thanks

Reply to
njem

Assuming the dash on a 97 looks the same as the third picture on this 1995 page:

The "Check Engine" (aka Malfunction Indicator) light is #3, far left end. The "Oil Pressure" light is #10, near the middle.

From that same page:

- Malfunction indicator lamp If the lamp comes on (or stays on after the vehicle has started), the engine diagnostic system has detected a possible fault in the emission control system. Although driveability may not be affected, see an authorized Volvo retailer as soon as possible for inspection.

- Oil pressure warning light If the light comes on while driving, the oil pressure is too low. Stop the car and then stop the engine immediately and check the engine oil level. See the section titled "Engine oil". If the light stays on after restart, have the car towed to the nearest authorized Volvo retailer. After hard driving, the light may come on occasionally when the engine is idling. This is normal, provided it goes off when the engine speed is increased.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Yes. This is not an oil pressure issue. At some time in the past, a fault in the emission control system has been detected and stored. The fault may or may not still exist. The only way to tell is to take it to someone (Volvo dealer, etc.) who can read and reset the fault code - and then see whether it re-occurs.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Can't you read the fault codes directly at the diagnostic socket? I know you can on the later 240s with LH 2.4 injection. There's a button and LED that will blink the codes.

Reply to
James Sweet

Possibly - but only if you know what you're looking for, and how to interpret it!

Reply to
Roger Mills