92 / 240 vibrates

The 92 240 sedan I bought today vibrates when I take off (roughly from 0km/h to 15km/h) and when I slow down (rougly 15 km/h to 0 km/h) to stop. The previous owner advised me that the car "may need brake work like roters" which I can attribute some of the stopping vibration to. However, his brother (another Volvo Owner) claims that the entire vibration can be attributed to the universal joint.

Thanks, Ian

Reply to
Snaggle Tooth

Maybe a universal joint, but my guess is the driveshaft center bearing is flopping around. The carrier can fail and it creates some prodigious vibration. A simple inspection - visual while trying to move the driveshaft side to side or up and down at the center bearing will confirm.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I second the U-Joint diagnosis. I've had it on 2 of my 240s. And, its been the rear U-joint each time.

Scott

Reply to
SBD

P.S. A change in driveshaft alignment can exacerbate a bad U-Joint. They can get used to one alignment -- alter it and they object. Things that alter driveshaft alignment include: transmission mount and transmission cross-member rusted out and failing. I've had one of each on my 2 aforementioned 240s.

Scott

Reply to
SBD

Come to think of it, the proper approach would be to pull the entire driveshaft out so the U joints and the bearing can all be evaluated. Takes just a little longer and covers all the bases so the labor doesn't have to be repeated a few months down the road.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee