'92 240 Sedan, 72K miles, 5-speed for sale

THIS IS NOT MY CAR!!!

I post this because of the recent thread on how real nice 240's are getting hard to get. This came up in our local paper here in Eugene, OR today and it sure looks like a sweet one! I talked to the guy briefly (didn't want to yank his chain too long). Here's the ad:

92 Volvo 240 sedan, 5-speed, AC, PW, PL, AM/FM. Recent 60,000 mile service. Silver. Excellent condition. $6900. (541) 232-5309

When i called the guy he said the mileage was 72K.

Somebody, please, buy this car so I will stop thinking about how I could sell my '92 240 with 130K for $4500 or so and buy this one for a couple grand more... and a 5-speed!!!

-jeff

(I don't even know the name of the seller- I have no connection at ALL.... i'd be willing to go look at it if someone needed me to but I couldn't do that until next week due to insane schedule... good luck!... let me know if anyone bites on this...)

Reply to
Handywired

Don't you think the price is a bit high for a 92 sedan? Over here in The Netherlands, a small country in the European Union, many

240 (NOT station) are bought by dealers that transport them to Russia. Over here sedans are very hard to find, plenty off stations avaliable for around 4 to 6K USD.

Reply to
Martijn

This is straying from the topic but is it really necessary to point out that The Netherlands is a small country in the European Union?

blurp

On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:05:28 +0200, the illustrious "Martijn" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Not to Us, But many of my fellow citizens know Holland from Flanders. Or Belize from Guatemala, for that mater.

I agree, that is a lot for a 240, even over here.

I sold my 240 for $500.USDs

Bill @ Home >This is straying from the topic but is it really necessary to point

Reply to
AJ

Considering that a rather large percentage of American high shcool students can't find the United States on a globe, I'd say that helpful specifications like that are indeed necessary. When you're dealing with the citizens of a country where tax cuts have higher priority than education, small words are needed.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I agree with that.

So, throwing more money at education will make it better? Money is not the problem. Public education is at present a huge monopoly.

How about a voucher system, so parents can send their kids to the schools they believe will do their kids the most good?

As it is, the NEA has total control. Give parents more control, and market demands will improve education, and likely reduce costs as well. KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

The state I live in now spends about 7K per student. Our state is consistently in the lower 1/3 of the national scores, and has more teachers that cannot (or will not) properly conjugate verbs in everyday conversation than I have ever encountered. Therefore I have a self-induced education tax and send my kids to a private school. They are challenged to succeed and excel and do their best work. If they meet the stated goals then they are challenged further.

The ones that cannot keep up get additional attention until they either catch up or leave. I saw that this year with one of my child's classmates. It is very simple: expectations are high and consistent. The ones that can do the work do it and stay; the ones that cannot or will not do not stay. It doesn't mean one group is better than the other or worse than the other - some people are just better at some things than others. In this case it is education, in other cases it may be sports, in other cases it is the ability to dig foundations, in yet other cases it may be the ability to create, grow, then sell a successfull business. Everyone is different and all have value, just different types.

GC

Reply to
GC

Sure it will. And "Saddam has WMD", "we know where they are", "trying to buy yellow cake", "aluminum tubes proof of a reconstituted 'nucular' program", "have found mobile weapons labs", "will be welcomed with flowers", "oil revenue will pay for reconstruction", "a few bad apples", etc., etc.. Some will believe anything.

Horespower may be cheaper, but doesn't always do the trick!

Reply to
mccaldwell

conversation

Reply to
GC

Sorry. Separation of church and state.

Parental control is part of the problem rather than part of the solution, unfortunately.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Tim McNamara opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@Stella-Blue.local:

God, yes! Ever been to a school board meeting where they are discussing textbooks? It's an absolute joke. Just give the decision to an expert, don;t let a committee decide. You end up with pablum that we are then afraid to make our children learn. And don;t get me started on Standards of Learning. Teachers are now required to "teach to the test", and not teach the subject.

Let the teachers do their jobs, keep government interference out, and get parents involved the right way. Like it was, oh, so many years ago.

Reply to
Graefaxe

now what was the original post ?

Reply to
Islandguy77554

Memory says someone in Oregon had a nice '92 240 for sale for around $7K. Mileage was about 60K.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf