940 overdrive not re-engaging

Greetings all, I have a 93 model 940GLE, automatic, 222,000km. Of late, the overdrive unit does not always re-engage after I have pressed the button to overtake (taking it out of overdrive), when I press the button again to re-engage overdrive it doesn't want to go back again. The button can be pressed repeatedly to no avail. Some minutes later it may decided to re-engage all by itself. There has also been a couple of occasions in the last six months when I have started the car and the arrow has come up saying the overdrive is disengaged and the only fix (I've tried driving it) is to turn off the key and start again.

Any thoughts would be useful. Thanks heaps Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage decided to add:

does not always re-engage after I have pressed the button to overtake (taking it out of overdrive), when I press the button again to re-engage overdrive it doesn't want to go back again. The button can be pressed repeatedly to no avail. Some minutes later it may decided to re-engage all by itself. There has also been a couple of occasions in the last six months when I have started the car and the arrow has come up saying the overdrive is disengaged and the only fix (I've tried driving it) is to turn off the key and start again.

Replace the Electrical Relay in the dash behind the Ash Tray.

Reply to
bigjon

Any thoughts would be useful. Thanks heaps Jeff

Sounds like your overdrive relay is going out. It is located behind the fuse panel. They typically have a problem with cold solder joints. If you are handy with a soldering gun you can repair this yourself, by reflowing the solder joints on the wafer board inside the relay. If not they cost about $40 to $50 dollars from the dealer.

Harold

Reply to
grtdane63