OverDrive Woes

Hi,

I've a Series III diesel with an Overdrive fitted that's been giving me some woes..

For the last 3 years, the Overdrive lever has been vibrating noisily, but recently it's started pinging out of 'engaged' at "high" speed. If the over-drive is disengaged, there's no problem.

A fortnight ago - the overdrive pinged out on the motorway and wouldn't either engage or disengage. (Stuck in Neutral). A local mechanic got me going again, by replacing the lever pin, but now I'm unable to dis-engage the overdrive. (It's stuck in either engaged or neutral).

So - just after a bit of advice really..

I'm guessing the over-drive unit must be worn. Can these be reconditioned or is it better to replace or remove?

If I were to replace, are they a standard fitting? Should any suitable over-drive swap straight in?

Any thoughts? - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
mark

If you find what the problem is Fairey still exist and last time I looked they were in Barnstable - there's a web site with contact info, unfortunately I can find it at the moment. I spoke to a very helpful chap there, and at the time all internal parts were still available, except the input bearing and gear (in the transfer box) and the actual casting. Who knows, you may get lucky.....

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes, any series overdrive will fit straight on

Reply to
Tom Woods

The overdrive probably needs overhauling - or may just be low in oil (although if this has been going on for any time it will need overhauling as well). Any Series overdrive will fit, but be sure the one you get is in better shape than yours. All parts and exchange units or new units were available from Rovers Down South in New Orleans before the hurricane - not sure how they faired! Also available from several sources in the UK, but some parts rather pricey. JD

Reply to
JD