96 850 turbo burns oil

Hi everyone,

I'm extremely interested in buying a 1996 850 Turbo Platinum Edition wagon. The car is 158k and extremely well maintained.

There is one problem - it burns oil. The vehicle burns about a quart of oil between every oil change. The vehicle burns more oil on highway than in city driving; burns more with lightweight 5w-30 Mobil 1 than with heavier 20w50. Putting in a brand new turbo reduced the oil burn, but did not completely eliminate the problem.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or just something particular to this vehicle? I want something that can be driven to grocery store once a week without needing to worry about anything else. Are there any common problem that surfaces with this car around this mileage?

Thanks a lot, Mo

Reply to
Mo Z.

You say it "burns" oil: do you see smoke, or does it simply "use" oil?

My '96 Turbo used oil from a leaky rear main seal.

Reply to
Mr. V

It burns oil - in that the exhaust area has a very thin film of oil, and the exhaust smells like burnt engine oil.

Mr. V wrote:

Reply to
Mo Z.

My 93 940 turbo uses a qt between oil changes...always has....no big deal

Reply to
Michael Rose

Reply to
John Robertson