960 24vBlock water leak

After main dealer failed to find a water leak and them fitting new hoses and thermostat housing I decided to look for it myself. 10mins. later I found the leak, it is coming from a crack in the cylinder block about 1/2 way up behind the exhaust manifold where there is some "light webs"in the "Ali" casting, upon giving it a blast with the pressure wash I found two more!. With the pressure cap loose and not using Sport mode it is not leaking. The car has done 130k, main dealer serviced, not been treated unfairly, has anyone any ideas, (please not radweld and sell) I would contemplate a new or recon engine, but from where?. The car is a K 93 plate. Cheers

Reply to
J.R.Alsop

I haven't come across this, and it doesn't seem to be an experience of many posters to this group; however, very early models of the B6304 reportedly had a porous block problem due to improper casting.

If you get a reconditioned engine, make sure it is a B6304F2 ('95 and later).

I don't know about the UK, but in the US a used engine is between $1200 - $3000, and there are several places that sell them.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I've never seen this either, but from what I've heard there's no fix. Welding up the cracks cause them to reappear right beside the weld.

Reply to
Mike F

Are you sure its cracks or what seem like cracks as a year ago my 940 was leaking like hell what seemed from the water pump but it was the head gasgit ....when i saw the gasgit there was nothing left of the corner part of it as it had been eaten away. Volvo say they sell a lot of head gasgit kits for mine and i assume its a very close engine on the 960.it took me a while to convince myself it was not the block as it sure looked like it.

regards to all....Steve Beds UK voc 17953

Reply to
xntrick

you might want to investigate cold repair: metalock, metalace, metal stitching, casting repair etc

Reply to
m-gineering

960 and 940 have very different engines (in the US). The 940 has a traditional red-block 4-cyl engine (B230 or B234), while the 960 was the first Volvo to have one of the new modular engines (B6304). In the UK market there was a 960 sold with a turbocharged B230, but it doesn't appear the original poster has one of these.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Sounds like it may have frozen at some point in the past through lack of antifreeze? Or a bad casting?

Probably best cost effective therapy is a 2nd hand motor? Or if you cant find a low enough mileage one- strip your existing and have it ally welded?

Both options probably carry the same risk..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

A 940 4 cylinder and 960 6 cylinder are completely a different motor. No connection at all.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Reply to