Leaking block on 93 960 24valve

I posted a letter a few weeks ago about my 130K 960. The block is leaking like a sieve, it has been main dealer serviced from new. I mentioned to the dealer that perhaps there had been a problem in the past, he said that there had not been after contacting Volvo. It now looks as if I am in for paying out loads of money as I love my car to bits.

Reply to
J.R.Alsop

The very early 6 cylidners did have casting problems, but it was rare, from what I understand. Whether regular coolant changes with strong anti-freeze in it would have helped i am not sure.

Look out for a crashed car with a 'can-be-heard-runnning' motor in it??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Search the group archives on Google. This is not an isolated problem, and there was a recent post about a service bulliten, I think. They know about it! Do a Google for Volvo Block porosity or similer. You will fnd info. This isn't news.

One fellow said he had good luck at his shop by pulling the manifold, thoroughly cleaning the block with power wire brushes, degreasing with strong solvent, then sealing with J.B. Weld. Use the original stuff- not the five minute type. It is specifically made to work on metal surfaces, and if done properly will not come off. This $200 fix will save you over $2000.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate [and worried]

Reply to
Randy G.