960 Cabin fan

The fan has suddenly stopped working, though the A/C seems to be OK. Is there a fuse/relay controlling this? I cannot even see how you access the fan easily to check whether the control resistors have "liberated" themselves. Short of a sledgehammer, can you get your arm in to see if the blades still turn?

Reply to
Phil Taylor

See the thread "760 Heater fan", everything there applies to your car too. The fan uses the same fuse as the A/C clutch, so it doesn't sound like you have a fuse problem.

Reply to
Mike F

Which sort of air-con does your car have? Is it Manual or ECC?

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Reply to
Phil Taylor

How did you determine that the motor had failed? I'm having the same probem and if that's the problem I'd be happy to accellerate the conclusion of this repair.

Thanks, blurp

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:43:34 GMT, the illustrious "Phil Taylor" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

_____ Blurp et al,

If you can isolate the wire that feeds the motor down stream of any controls, then you should see a resistance value between this wire and ground of 0.5 Ohms to 0.7 Ohms with a DVM. This applies to a fan motor of about 115 Watts to 130 Watts (found in 240 and other Volvos). Or, using a 3 V battery and a small bulb, the bulb should light with almost normal brightness when connected between the motor feed wire and ground. If the resistance is infinite, or the bulb does not light, then the motor has failed. Alternatively, if you have access to some jumper wires with crocodile clips, you can route 12 V battery power from the fuse panel to the motor feed wire. If it does not spin, the motor has failed.

/ John

Reply to
jch