'98 XC vibration with left turns.....

Have been to dealer twice for audible/palpable (with your feet) "rubbing" or mild vibration apparently from the front left corner when turning left, worse with power on, but also with trailing throttle into a left hander.... hoped this was the wheel bearing (just did the other side recently, but different noise...).... initially the dealer agreed, but then found "no better" with new (left) wheel bearing.

Was then advised it was the CV joint(s), so they ordered and installed a new (right) axle, as the CV's don't come separately, at least, not from Volvo they don't. I pick up the car an find after only 8 blocks (about half of the turning left) that car is no different than before.....??????

Hmm... *now* they're going to re-install my old axle, and ????

Car does *not* make this sound/vibration when turning right-handed do-nuts in the parking lot..........

Any ideas / recommendations? (Other than asking dealer what they were thinking not testing it after replacing the axle......)

Kevin

Reply to
K Bourke

In case this happens to you... its the left rear axle/differential interface.... with a wobbly bearing that carries the two..... dealer advised me to get a re-manufactured diff, as they typically find *numerous* internal parts gone when opening one up in this situation...... part alone is $CDN

2700 !!!

Helpful Volvo tech guided me to used parts site

which located a used one in Montreal...... it's winging its way to me now for $450 all up!

Just FYI...

K.

Reply to
K Bourke