Help with '99 Intrigue whining sound

Our '99 Intrigue has developed this higher pitched whining sound that is present in the front end when turning the steering wheel both directions though a bit more when turning the wheel to the left. The problem is always there, though when the car is cold the sound is much louder. And as I accelerate around a corner the sound get more high pitched. The steering doesn't feel any different, though I feel a little vibration in the wheel with the sound. I hear it a little even when driving straight. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
O'erClock'd Proc

A lot depends on the definition of "high pitched". Given the propensity for it to be louder during a left hand turn I would suggest a look at the right front wheel bearing (hub assembly). Of course it is always advisable to look at power steering fluid level and other things such as the serpentine belt tensioner. These typically will not be sensitive to which direction you are turning but sometimes it is easy to confuse the process of documenting failure symptoms. If you are confident that the sound is more dramatic in a left hand turn then I'd look very closely at the right front wheel bearing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeah, I agree, describing a sound is rather difficult. It's not a squeking sound, but more of an "engine-y" whine sound. I can make the whiney sound happen just by turning the steering wheel when the vehicle is stopped.

Would a wheel bearing going sound less after the car has been driven for a while, or does it make the same sound all the time?

Reply to
O'erClock'd Proc

Does it make the sound when the car is not moving but you are turning the wheel left ? This would exclude the wheel bearings. just an fyi.

Reply to
RT

Yes, it makes the sound when the car isn't moving. It makes it turning both directions, but a little louder when I turn the steering wheel left.

Reply to
O'erClock'd Proc

Does it do it when you barely turn the wheel, just starting to turn it so the powersteering pump starts to assist but the wheels don't turn yet ? unlikely to be the bearings then. My guess is powersteering pump. I've heard this noise on many intrigues. I think it will hold up. Some cars just get noisy pumps and still run for years.

Reply to
RT

When I just start to turn the wheel it makes a groany/whiney sound. The more I turn the wheel the louder the sound gets.

I checked the power steering fluid (for the first time since we got the car 3 years ago) and the dipstick came up dry...I saw some fluid in the resevoir though. Would it be a good bet that even if I put steering fluid in that the noise would continue?

If the pump goes I'll still have steering right, it just won't be powered, correct?

Thanks!

Reply to
O'erClock'd Proc

probably won't fix the problem but you should add fluid asap. Also check for leaks, they usually don't need fluid added unless you have a leak.

yeah I think so. Just very heavy. Not advisable to do so. IT shouldn't cost too much to replace the pump, if you do it yourself it shouldn't be bad at all. Not sure about the intrigue but it can't be too bad.

Reply to
RT