"check engine" light '98 V70 GTI

I am having problems with the "check engine" light. some months ago the light was on and two different providers told me after running the code check thing that the code check indicated that I needed a new coolant temperature sensor. I had that replaced. On leaving the garage that had done the replacement, I noticed the "check engine" light came on again. I went back to them and they said they had turned it off but would check it for me. When they checked it out they were not able to get the light to go out so they decided the problem was either with a cable connecting the sensor to the computer of the car or with the computer itself. They spent some time and replaced the cable on another visit and did not charge me for that. I left and found the light was still coming on. It has been on for a few months except for one interval of about five days when the light went out. I was thrilled -- until it came back on. It has stayed on since then.

Any ideas?

I hope this is not the car's computer.

Also, does anyone know whether it is possible for someone to connect a computer remotely to the computer of a car and do something to the car.

thanks

Reply to
daffy

If by "remotely" you mean without connecting to the OBD2 connector - it is NOT possible. On a 1998 even reprogramming "flashing" the computer with a cable connection was only possible on a very few vehicles - today it is pretty well a standard feature - but very specialized programmers are generally required.

As for your problem - I'd be suspicious that the replacement sensor may ALSO be bad, or there is still a bad connection somewhere. Would also be good to know the actual code stored by the computer - because often the code can have more than one "interpretation". It has only one "meaning" but there can be more than one cause.

Reply to
clare