ABS question for 760 rear axle swap

I will be removing and replaciing the rear axle in my 1889 760 wagon (solid axle) with an older GM axle to handle more torque.

Questions:

1) How will this affect the front ABS? The new rear axle has discs, but no provisions (or plans) for ABS. Are there rotation sensors on the stock axle that will confuse the ABS brain by their absence? Can I just connect the brake lines and have ABS on the front only ?

2) How about correct front to rear brake proportioning? Would I need to add an adjustable proportioning valve, or is the fact that I still have four-wheel discs mean that the factory split is still mostly correct?

3) Where is the electronic speedo pickup? I assume it's a little chopper wheel in the axle housing somewhere. The new drivetrain has a GM cable-driven speedo drive, so I need to convert that to an electric signal to feed to the stock Volvo speedo.

4) I understand there is a specific capacitor on the Volvo tach one changes to correctly read a V-8 rather than the four. Anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks - Forrest

Reply to
mccanlessdesign

1) and 3) The front ABS will not work. The ABS is a system that has to all be there for any of it to work. The speedo and ABS share a sensor that is mounted in the diff cover. There is a pickup wheel on the carrier. 2) That depends on the relative efficiency of the new brakes vs. the Volvo brakes, compounded by the extra weight your going to have on the front end.
Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
mccanlessdesign

There needs to be a gear or other type of device with a specified number of teeth that the pickup has to be located close to to work. It'll be obvious what you need to do if you remove the cover on your old differential.

Reply to
Mike F