Accident 1988 740 U.K

MY SON WAS INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT WITH A DRUNK DRIVER, THE DRIVER HIT THE CAR THEN LEFT THE SCENE. THE POLICE DETAINED THE DRIVER LATER THAT NIGHT AD CHARGED HIM WITH SEVERAL OFFENCES NOT ONLY TRAFFIC RELATED.

As the car is a 1988 the insurance I will assume will write the car off, the damage to the car is minimal to the drivers front wing also the indicator and side light are gone.

The car is worth a lot of money to me but is only worth a few hundred pound if that.

What are the procedures when an Insurance company write a car of. This would be a financial write off where the cost to repair the car would be more than the value of the car.

I estimate the cost of the damage to be £600 the value of the car £300

Reply to
no

The car will be probably be inspected by an assessor, who will make recommendations to the insurance company, although as low value, they may just offer a settlement. I believe that, once the insurance company have offered you a settlement, you can offer to buy the car from them, presumably for that price. You could of course then offer to take it off their hands to save them the cost of disposal! They may be obliged to advise DVLA Swansea that they have written it off and you will then have to negotiate a resurrection! I have the same year/740GL estate, which is now looking a bit jaded, although still runs well. I also had the same problem with the insurance company after I bent it rather badly, but persuaded the assessor to authorise a body repair at about the same price as the write-off.

-- Graham Brownlee

Reply to
Graham Brownlee