Adding Coolant - S80

Hello All,
I need to add some coolant to my 2005 s-80. Manual says nothing about what color to add. Or how to addit. It says to use only Volvo Coolant mixed 50 /
50. I assume you can use other coolant that I can buy at the store. And how should I check it. There is a min and max line in the overflow container...but it doesn't say weather to check hot or cold. And if you check it hot...you cant open the cap when it's hot to add it !!! Any help would be appreciated to answer my questions. Thanks, just cant see spending whatever money the Volvo place would want to put a couple of cups of fluid into the car.
John
let the car warm up...so that the coolant is movin' around and gates/valves are open....don't fill up on a hot day...or after a hard drive.....crack the cap a turn or two...not so much that is off...just loose...you will hear the air eacape...wait a moment...then remove....fill up to just under the top mark on the coolant resevoir....if you are just adding a few cups...i would just use water......it will all get mixed up after a few hrs of running...have the coolant cycled every two or three years....if it is not leakin'.... thats what i do here in colorado....so far no problems w/any cooling issues...summer > 100 on a few days...low hit around -5 last winter a few days...and all points between.....cheers.....richard colorado

Up to you which coolant you choose to use, but earlier this year one side of my original thermostat broke so it wasn't fully opening on my 1997 v70 with 320 000km. The radiator place which replaced it actually asked what I put in the cooling system I cautiously answer it has only ever had volvo genuine coolant in it, and he said it is the cleanest cooling system he has ever seen. He said well whatever you use keep using it. I am happy to follow that advice. Jeff
On 10/09/08 12:51 AM, in article i4wxk.45628$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad, "John

I agree w/Jeff...when replacing coolant, I use the volvo product...so do the Volvo shops I have always used...For a cup or tow, I wouln't buy a $45 bottle of coolant from the shop or dealer...I would just use free water...Same w/windshield washing fluid....If I am filling 30% or more of the resevoir...I will used a jug of quality fluid...If just a cup or two...Water it is... 4 me.......cheers ..... richard / colorado