V70 noise

Our 2001 V70 has for some time been making a whirring/oscillating noise that seems to be coming from the engine area - it's noticeable at speeds of 35-55mph but not above. It's hard to describe. It was serviced recently including a timing belt change (it's done 85k miles) and is otherwise running very well. Any idea what this is and whether it should be investigated? And how?

E.

Reply to
eastender

Hi there. Check your power steering fluid level. My 2001 V70 does exactly the same when the fluid level gets even slightly below full. The pump seems to whine like a good-in. My last model did it too, and it never seemed to get worse or go wrong. Just make sure the level is good, and the noise should go away. If this doesn't cure it, check alternator for worn bearings. Hope to help. Joe.

Reply to
joelandyman

Thanks - sounds like it's more likely to be bearings somewhere - isn't the power steering pump unrelated to road speed?

E.

Reply to
eastender

"eastender" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com...

I know that some Auto-transmission cars have a whining noise from the differential at speeds around 40Mph, but I thought Volvo fixed this on later models ?

Reply to
Brian Sørup