AM Radio reception in 05 Legacy Outback

My 3.0 VDC AM radio has poor reception. I am talking about poor reception on large stations 10 miles out of town. Is this because of the built in antennae? I like to listen to stations out of my area, but have been unable to with this car. Any ideas?

thanks,

Tim

Reply to
timscramstad

Have you got metalic window tinting on the rear window? it's known to kill AM reception. I used a polyester film on the rear window just to ensure the radio was not affected. (metal film on the other windows)

Reply to
Jack

I thought FM would be affected by metallic tinting. Isn't AM received by a coil-wound bar inside the receiver?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Jack wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

That would work exceptionally well, down inside that metal-bathtub-of-a-Faraday-Cage we call an autobody, wouldn't it? Hmmm, and would give it a nice, highly-directional reception effect, too!

FM is affected also, but not nearly as much as AM.

You can trim film away along *antenna* gridlines, or remove the tint from that area and sub some vinyl stripping in that area (all polyester tint film has metal in it), install an external antenna, or just live with it. I did the first option.

Reply to
CompUser

I do have tinted windows. I guess thats what did it. Thanks to all for the help!

Reply to
timscramstad