Any Ideas what's wrong?

I have a '91 740 Turbo wagon. Mileage is under 40K. Twice in the last four months when I applied a heavy foot to the gas to pass a slow car I lose power. Completely! The engine does not run. One instance, I was able to eventually restart the motor,and limp home but it kept dying. The first I had to have it towed in, and the mechanic claimed it was fixed but obviously that is not the case. Help! Anyone else experience this same phenomena?

Thanks. Almost stranded in Dallas

[..]

Doh!

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

yeah,

I tried to reply to his post, and it kept saying mine was in HTML, and I didn't select it that way.

hehe, oh well, Good old Outlook eh?

Reply to
Myron Samila

I have a '91 740 Turbo wagon. Mileage is under 40K. Twice in the last four months when I applied a heavy foot to the gas to pass a slow car I lose power. Completely! The engine does not run. One instance, I was able to eventually restart the motor,and limp home but it kept dying. The first I had to have it towed in, and the mechanic claimed it was fixed but obviously that is not the case. Help! Anyone else experience this same phenomena?

Thanks. Almost stranded in Dallas

Reply to
adopt a rescue dog today

slow car I lose power. Completely! The engine does not run. One instance, I was able to eventually restart the motor,and limp home but it kept dying. The first I had to have it towed in, and the mechanic claimed it was fixed but obviously that is not the case.

My '87 740 suffered from similar problems after changing the fuel filter. Seems one of the banjo fittings twisted while being tightened and crimped the fuel line. As long as fuel demand was relatively constant, things were ok, but upon heavier acceleration, fuel starvation occured, engine hesitated and at times stalled.

Gl, Joe

Reply to
jdunville

My '85 DL did the same thing.

And I had the same experience with the mechanics at Smythe Volvo in San Jose as you had with yours.

The problem turned out to be dirty contacts in the connector to the Air Mass Meter.

I carefully unplugged the connector and sprayed Radio Shack TV Tuner Cleaner into both parts of the connector. Then I plugged and unplugged them together a few times (before leaving them plugged together).

JM

Reply to
Jed Margolin